Although the school summer break provides an important respite for students, it can often lead to academic regression especially for students who have educational, behavioral, and emotional difficulties. Adventures in Learning, provides students with an opportunity to participate in a program that emphasizes experiential, hands-on and adventure-based learning tied to specific curricula.
Who comes to Adventures in Learning?
Applications are accepted from the student's school district.
- Structured day, supportive staff, emphasis on positive relationships with adults and peers
- Individualized learning achieved through a series of curriculum-driven class activities and trips
- Continuity of services designed to meet students educational, social and emotional needs
- Opportunities to gain insight into their abilities, attitudes and behaviors
- Ability to earn academic credit. Prior approval from student's local school district (LEA) required.
- Focus and reporting on IEP goals
Learn By Doing
The students work with a curriculum that helps them gain insight into their abilities, attitudes, and behaviors while participating in physically, emotionally, and mentally challenging activities. By participating in this program, students can acquire the tools that will help them apply what they have learned to their regular school environment.
How It Works
Experienced instructors teach classes based on the following five components of the program...
Community Outreach: Provides an opportunity for students to become involved in community service activities.
History: Teaches students about our state's history by learning about and visiting key historical sites in Connecticut.
Cultural: Introduces students to a wide range of experiences in fine arts, music, and theatre.
Transition: Offers exploration of career, vocational and higher education opportunities.
Adventure: Promotes personal growth, helps students acquire new skills and develop their leadership potential. Activities may include hiking, biking, canoeing, swimming, and outdoor adventure therapy utilizing the Polaris Adventure Therapy course.
"Thank you again for the wonderful opportunity and experiences you and the entire staff provided me with this summer. It was an amazing experience and I feel very blessed to have met each and all of you. You have a phenomenal staff, great students and one of the most interesting alternative programs I have seen to date”.
- Manchester Paraprofessional