Student Services Coordinator
About Summer Academy
The 2018 Summer Academy has been cancelled due to funding. We are working with our Business Services division to issue a refund to all families who paid the nominal fee.
If you would like your fee to be applied to the Mary Carroll Kennedy and Marjorie Little Scholarship and Award fund, please contact Casondra Lash at (860) 509-3734 or email@example.com. Your contributions will be used to provide scholarships to a deserving high school senior in the Open Choice program.
Open Choice Summer Academy provides a challenging academic curriculum for students enrolled in the Hartford Region Open Choice Program, entering grade one through eight the following school year. The primary focus of the Academy is to provide instructional development in the areas of reading, writing and math as well as, enrichment activities to encourage students to explore and appreciate the diversity of our country and the Greater Hartford community. Students who participate in the Academy receive lessons associated with their upcoming grade classification.
Parents of Open Choice students attending suburban schools in kindergarten - seventh grade will receive additional information via mail regarding the Summer Academy.
Facts About the Summer Academy
- A non-refundable nominal fee is charged and used to provide scholarships for graduating high school students
- The Summer Academy is open to children currently in kindergarten - seventh grade
- There are high expectations of staff, students and parents
- A diverse populations of certified teachers from local magnet schools or Open Choice districts administer lesson plans
- The Academy has a standard teacher/student ratio of 2:20
- Parent involvement/engagement is required
- Transportation is available for all students residing in Hartford
- Experiential and academic field trips are provided at no additional cost
- Breakfast and lunch is provided at no additional cost
- Space is limited
The Open Choice Summer Academy partners with Our Piece of the Pie (OPP) to offer 10 Our Open Choice juniors and seniors summer youth employment internships designed to encourage ethnic minority students to consider education as a career path. As part of this program Open Choice juniors and seniors have the opportunity to experience hands-on teaching.
The Hartford Region Open Choice summer program provides high quality programming by including:
- A diverse teaching staff with State Department of Education certification
- Low teacher/child ratio
- Experiential and academic field trips
- Peer mentorship program
- Positive behavioral interventions
- Theme based programming
- Parental involvement and engagement
- Partnerships with local non-profits and corporations
Last Summer, 162 elementary and middle students from 24 school districts participated. Students had the opportunity to listen to guest speakers, including Project Concern alumna, Connecticut State Representatives, Hartford City Councilmen, and corporate leaders on the importance of education. In addition, students visited City Hall, met the Mayor of Hartford, explored Bushnell Park, and participated in a series of projects designed to promote collaboration and dialogue among students from different racial, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.