Follow your passion...
Become a Special Education teacher
Advanced Alternate Route Program for
Special Education (AARC) is a program
for certified teachers to earn a cross-endorsement
in Comprehensive Special
The AARC is an exciting and innovative
14 month competency-based course
of study approved by the Connecticut
State Department of Education
that provides training and practical
experience based on national special
education teacher standards.
Enrolling in the AARC program at CREC was,
without a doubt, one of the best professional choices I
have ever made. The knowledge and understanding I
gleaned was invaluable to my teaching career. It daily
informs my practice. The program was rigorous, but
the instructors were approachable and helpful.
-- Lori Dight
- Affordable tuition
- Small cohorts and mentor support from current practitioners
- Summer sessions, online learning, and Saturday classes allow candidates to complete the program and gain new skills while remaining employed
- Job-embedded portfolio assignments
- Opportunities to practice and apply competencies in educational settings
- Builds the skills to positively affect the lives of students with disabilities
Qualifications for Admission
- Valid teaching certificate
- Master's degree encouraged, but not required
- Three years successful teaching experience in the past eight years (substitute teaching considered)
- Desire to teach students with disabilities as a special educator
- Access to a computer and an e-mail address
After hiring three graduates from the AARC program,
I observed them to be three of the most prepared and
efficient SPED teachers in the district. The AARC
program gave them a variety of hands-on experiences
and knowledge. Each of them started their position
by being able to jump right into the job and became a
strong advocate for students with special needs.
-- Kevin Hollis
Director of Special Services, Region 6
Application Deadline: May 3rd, 2014
Before applying: Please put together an evidence-based portfolio and be prepared to demonstrate competency through Praxis II and Clinical experiences.
Program Fees: Tuition is approximately $5,500.
This program is approved by the State Board of Education, effective 9/30/2009 through 9/30/2014.
To apply or to obtain more information, call Jeannette Estrada at 860-524-4038, or e-mail email@example.com
CREC, experienced in developing alternative
route to certification programs, can come
to your region or state and work with you to
develop and implement an Advanced Alternate
Route Program for Special Education.
information contact Mary Jo Terranova at
203-233-1940 or firstname.lastname@example.org or
Sonya Kunkel at 860-509-3763 or email@example.com
CREC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender,
disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or genetic information.