The inclement weather procedure for the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) transportation is uniquely different than all other school district policies. We want to help clarify that procedure for you.
- If your student’s school is closed, no transportation will be provided.
- If your student’s school is on a delay but your home town is on schedule the bus will run on a delay.
- If your student’s school is open but your home town is closed, transportation will not be provided from your town. You may drive your child to school that day but arrangements also need to be made to return the student home as the bus will not bring students home if school has been cancelled in that town.
- If your student’s school is on time and your home town district has a delay, the bus will operate on a delay (the delay may be later if the bus serves multiple towns – see below).
- If your student rides a bus that serves multiple towns, the bus operates on the longest delay of those towns. Families should be aware of what towns their student’s bus serves. That information can be found in the “Bus Route Information” section of our website at www.crec.org/transportation. Example: If Bloomfield and Windsor are transported on one vehicle to Classical Magnet School in Hartford and Hartford is on time, Bloomfield has a two hour delay, and Windsor has a 90 minute delay. The bus will run on a 2 hour delay because that is the longest delay on that route.
Delay and/or closing schedules are easily attainable from radio, television, or internet. These schedules are also posted online at www.wfsb.com or www.wvit.com. The Transportation Call Center will be staffed to answer emergency calls. It is not unusual to experience high volume of calls in the Call Center during inclement weather days. Please assist us on these days by using our Call Center only in the event of an emergency, severe delay, or no shows.
There is no perfect solution to transporting students in bad weather. Buses operate slower to be safe, delays occur due to accidents and poor road conditions, and students must wait in undesirable weather. We appreciate your patience, understanding, and cooperation during these challenging days.
If you have any questions regarding the inclement weather procedure, please call or email the CREC Transportation Office (email@example.com). We want to help you understand these guidelines. Call now. Don’t wait for inclement weather to occur. We look forward to working with you to ensure a safe ride for your student.