Click here for scheduling.
CREC Central Office
111 Charter Oak Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
Fingerprinting Safety Protocols for COVID-19
- If you are feeling sick in any way, please stay home. You can cancel and or reschedule your appointment by calling (860) 524-4003 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must wear a mask or other face-covering (not provided)
- No more than two people, including the Fingerprint Specialist, will be allowed in the fingerprinting office, so we ask that you please come alone. Any guests accompanying you, including children, must wait outside or in the lobby, and also wear a face-covering.
- Upon arrival you will be required to complete the CHRI form, provide two forms of ID, and payment on a clipboard provide by our front desk staff. As a precaution, when finished with the paperwork, you will leave the clipboard on the front desk for the Fingerprint Specialist to retrieve.
- The Fingerprint Specialist will retirieve the clipboard and escort to the fingerprinting office when ready.
- After you have been fingerprinted, your documents are reviewed and signed, and payment has been processed, the fingerprint specialist will hand you any necessary documentation and escort you back to the main lobby.
- Clipboards and The LiveScan fingerprinting device will be cleaned and disinfected before and after every use.
PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BEFORE SUBMITTING A REQUEST FOR A FINGERPRINTING APPOINTMENT
Scheduling an Appointment
Fingerprinting is done by appointment only. The name of the person on the schedule must be the person present for the appointment.
Our Fingerprinting Services location is: CREC Central Offices, 111 Charter Oak Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106. For customer support, please call (860) 524-4003 or email email@example.com.
Fingerprinting appointments are scheduled:
Monday - Thursday from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Emergency closings and cancellations will be announced on our voicemail at (860) 524-4003.
Connecticut History Record Information (CHRI) Form
All applicants must present completed CHRI form signed by the school district representative requesting the criminal background check at the time of the appointment. A separate form is required for each school district for which you would like the results to be sent.
All the following areas listed below need to be completed before the day of your fingerprinting or the applicant will need to reschedule their fingerprint appointment:
- Applicant's Name, Date of Birth & Position
- School Name and School Address
- Printed Name of School Representative, Signature & Date
NCPA/VCA and VECHS
Depending on what type of school/facility you are being fingerprinted for, you may also need to bring a completed National Child Protection Act/Volunteers for Children Act (NCPA/VCA) Waiver and Consent form or the Volunteer and Employment Criminal History System (VECHS) Waiver and Consent form. Please check with your school/facility with regards to this requirement.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I check to see if CREC Fingerprinting Services is open during inclement weather?
In the case of inclement weather, please call (860) 524-4003 to listen to an automated announcement regarding fingerprinting appointments.
I would like to apply to multiple schools. What is the process?
You will need to provide one completed Connecticut History Record Information (CHRI) form from each approved BOE, Charter, State, Endowed, Private School or RESC and payment for each school. CREC will perform the fingerprinting services and submit the prints to the Connecticut State Police for processing. The results are sent directly to each school by the Connecticut State Police.
I worked for a school district last year. I will be working in a new district this year. Do I need to be fingerprinted again?
Yes. You will need to provide the completed CHRI form from the new district and payment within 30 days of your employment date.
I worked for one week at a school district and will be working again this year in the same district. Do I need to be fingerprinted again?
No. By working at least one day in that school district, you are considered a continuous employee for that district. However, the district may choose to require you be fingerprinted again.
Who gets my results and when?
The results are sent directly to each school by the Connecticut State Police. As the results are sent by the Connecticut State Police, CREC cannot confirm the timeline for delivery of the results. It may take up to several months.
I am a student and must complete student teaching requirements within a district. What is the process for fingerprinting?
If your college/university has assigned you with placement in a district, you will need to get a Connecticut History Record Information (CHRI) form from the college/university and take it to the school district where you will student teach for them to complete prior to your fingerprinting appointment. If you have not yet received a placement for student teaching, you must contact your educational facility as you cannot be fingerprinted until such time as you are assigned a school district. This will allow you to take the CHRI form to the school district for completion and bring it with you to your fingerprinting appointment.
Can CREC share any Criminal History Record Information with others, with or without my authorization?
Under the State of Connecticut FBI CJIS Security Policy, any and all CHRI (Criminal History Record Information) cannot be re-used for subsequent unrelated needs by the original requestor/recipient, and cannot be disseminated to another recipient for subsequent unrelated re-use, future anticipated uses, regardless of whether or not the needs are formally related and outside of a state's jurisdiction.
This information is subject to change without notice.
(Revised: January 2020)