Open Choice Office
Late Application Submissions for 2021-2022 are due August 15th
Click here to apply.
“The Project Concern/Open Choice program made me successful because it allowed me to see the world outside of the projects. Open Choice has meant a better chance to succeed in life for me and my family. I am proud to be an alumnus because I am a more diverse and eclectic person being open minded to this ever changing world. Without participating in the program, I would never have probably made it through to a 26+ year military retirement and on to owning my own business.”
- Project Concern Alumnus
Class of 1982
Registration Process for New Open Choice Students
Welcome new Open Choice Families! You are joining over 2,300 dedicated and engaged parents and students who are committed to academic excellence, diversity, inclusion, and community.
STEP 1: Document Gathering
Now that you have accepted your Open Choice placement, gather the required documents listed below. You will need them to complete both the Open Choice and district registrations.
Document 1: Proof of Guardianship
One of the following documents to prove you are the student’s legal guardian.
If you are a parent of the student:
- Driver’s License or State Issued Identification
- Birth Certificate
If you are a legal guardian:
- Driver’s License of State Issued Identification
- Court Document indicating custody or guardianship
If you are a state appointed custodian:
- State Agency Issued Work Identification
- DCF Notification Document (i.e. DCF 603 Form)
Document 2: Proof of Age
One of the following documents to confirm the student’s age:
- Birth Certificate (the long form)
- Immunization Records if birth certificate or passport is not available
Documents 3, 4, and 5: Proof of Residency
One of the following primary documents in the name of the Parent/Guardian(s):
- Current mortgage statement
- Current lease agreement* (You may need to provide landlord name and phone number)
— AND —
Two the following secondary documents in the name of the Parent/Guardian(s) with matching addresses:
- Current bill (cable or phone)
- Current pay stub
- Current proof of government benefits
Please note: Your district may require additional documents.
* If the parent/guardian is unable to provide proof of residency due to living with family member or friend, a Certification of Residency Form must be completed and notarized by both parties. Also a proof of residency document must be provided by the Hartford resident.
While school offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we ask you to complete the form and provide the outlined documentation. You will be asked to have the form notarized once offices reopen.
STEP 2: Open Choice Registration
After you accepted your placement, you should have received a welcome email from Open Choice within 48 hours. After you gather the documents listed in Step 1, click on the link in your welcome email to complete the Open Choice online registration. If you have any questions or need assistance, email us at OCRegistration@crec.org.
STEP 3: District Registration
After you complete the Open Choice registration you will receive a confirmation email with instructions to begin the district registration. Click on the link in the email, select your new school district, save the registrar’s name and email, and then click on the link to visit the district’s registration web page. If you have any questions, please contact the school/district registrar.